My name is Jenna Lighfoot. I am a board certified physician assistant working at Nally Family Practice in Surprise, AZ. I am a conventionally trained Physician Assistant that has learned the benefits of nutrition and lifestyle and now choose to use diet as my first line treatment option when possible.
I graduated as Valedictorian from Midwestern University in 2007 with a Bachelors of Science in Biomedical Sciences (I worked hard for that, so I’m going to brag a little bit). I then went on to earn a Masters of Physician Assistant Studies at the University of Iowa in 2009. I am now a Hawkeye fan for life! Since graduation, I have been working in family practice and love the diverse patient population I am able to treat on a daily basis.
My paleo journey began in 2011 after I had abdominal surgery that left me with intolerable gastrointestinal symptoms. I was diagnosed with severe gluten intolerance and switched to a gluten free diet. I started to feel better but still did not get the complete relief I was hoping for. When conventional medicine was unable to give me answers, I was introduced to the paleo diet by a coworker and I have never looked back! Once the paleo lifestyle changed my life so drastically, curiosity got the best of me, and I dove into research to learn all the benefits a paleo diet and lifestyle provide.
I loved my first job at a conventional family practice, but became frustrated when I was not able to promote diet and a healthy lifestyle into my daily interaction with patients. My search for a job where I would be able to have the freedom to teach my patients more about diet and less about the side effects of medication led me to Nally Family Practice in Surprise, AZ. Dr. Adam Nally is a doctor of osteopathy who is board certified in family and bariatric medicine. He specializes in weight management, promotion of general medical health, and treatment of chronic medical conditions through a ketogenic and low carb diet. Only 7 years into my career as a Physician Assistant, I am excited to be working in such a nutrition friendly office and look forward to many years of promoting the paleo lifestyle (and low carb / ketogenic diets where appropriate).
When I’m not working, I enjoy trying out new paleo and low carb recipes. I love looking through my ever growing paleo and low carb cookbook collection for my next snack or meal. A few other random facts about me.
- I have a 100 lb Irish Wolfhound named Tallulah (Tally for short) that I love spending time with.
- I have 3 adorable nieces I love to spoil (unfortunately they live 5 hours away in Southern California).
- Not only do I enjoy cooking, but I am crafty too. I like to scrapbook, make handmade cards, sew, and make jewelry.
- I enjoy doing just about anything outdoors – camping, hiking, running, bike riding, etc.
- I am a die-hard St. Louis Cardinals fan even though I no longer live in Southern Illinois.
- Attending sporting events is one of my favorite pastimes.
- When I’m not at a sporting event, you can find me attending broadway shows and other live theatrical productions.
I look forward to helping you on your journey to better health following a paleo lifestyle.